Note: The Hankinson family (my Grandma Ruth's family) had some Scandinavian roots. Perhaps that's where we got our love of lefse. Eating lefse always reminds me of the Creston Grange spring farm auction. The Creston grange ladies could make lefse like champions. They sold it as a fund raiser during the auction every year. My sisters and I didn't care so much about the farm equipment being sold at the auction, but we would gladly go with my mom and dad so we could get lefse! I'm so glad we have a recipe in the family so I can always eat some lefse when I need a that nostalgic taste.
6 cups potatoes, cooked and riced
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup evaporated milk
pinch of salt
1 T sugar
2 cups flour
Mix together. Roll into balls about the size of tennis balls and keep on a plate in the refrigerator. Take one ball at a time out of the refrigerator and flatten on a floured board. (A cotton covered rolling pin will keep the dough from sticking.) Fry the lefse in an iron skillet at very high heat. If the lefse browns too much, turn the heat down a bit. After cooking each piece of lefse, place on a dish towel. Fold towel over lefse to keep warm. Stack lefse on top of each other and keep covered to keep from drying out.