Monday, January 21, 2008

Pico de Gallo

Note: Discovered this favorite version of pico by just putzing around in the kitchen. You may want to increase or decrease the amounts depending on your own preference. I credit my love of pico to the Texans. Had I not married a Texan, I wouldn't have had a clue about the delicious (and healthy) treat of pico de gallo.

5 ripe roma tomatoes, diced
about half of a yellow onion, finely chopped (Amount of onion should not exceed half of the amount of diced tomatoes. Too much onion over-powers the flavor of the pico. I use a two to one guide--two times the amount of diced tomatoes to chopped onion.)
1 jalapeno, finely chopped (Could omit the jalapeno to keep the heat down. Could also decide whether to use seeds or no seeds depending on how much heat you want.)
juice of one small lime
salt to taste
chopped cilantro to taste

Mix all ingredients together. I let my tongue guide me on this recipe. Some days, I like more or less of each of the ingredients. Serve with tortilla chips or as a topping for fajitas, nachos, etc.

*I like to add pico to mashed avacadoes, along with a little minced garlic (or garlic powder), to make a fresh guacamole.