Thursday, March 27, 2008

Grandma Barb's Lemon Meringue Pie

Note: I asked my mom if she would pass on my Grandma Barb's lemon meringue pie recipe. She kind of chuckled and then told me I can find it on the side of the Jell-O Lemon Pie Filling Box! I don't mind a bit that her delicious pie was from a box mix. I distinctly remember this lemon flavor every Easter Sunday and wouldn't want to mess with it. I did, however, add my own pie crust recipe. This is a sweeter crust than normal. It wouldn't be appropriate for double crust pies. If you don't prefer this crust or need an easier option, the Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts work well also.

Crust:
1/2 cup self-rising flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 T caster sugar (super-fine sugar)
8 T butter, cut into pieces
1 large egg
(By mistake, I added 4 T butter and two eggs. It turned out just fine.)

Place the flours, sugar, and butter in a food processor. Process on medium speed about 20 seconds until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs (no large chunks of butter). Add egg until mixture is incorporated and clumps together. Wrap dough in cling wrap and refrigerate one hour. Roll out dough and press into 9 inch pie plate. Trim sides. Prick with fork and line with Release foil (non-stick aluminum foil) filled with beans or rice. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove foil and beans. Bake an additional 10-15 minutes. Cool completely.

For the filling:
1 pkg Jell-O Cook and Serve Lemon Pudding and Pie Filling
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 egg yolks (save whites)
2 cups water

Whisk together pie filling mix, sugar, water, and egg yolks together in a sauce pan. Add water and whisk. Stirring constantly with whisk, cook on medium heat until mixture comes to a full boil. Cool 5 minutes, stirring twice. Pour into 9 inch cooled pie crust.

Meringue:
3 egg whites
1/3 cup caster sugar

Beat egg whites in large bowl with electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until very stiff peaks form. Spread over filling, sealing to edge of the crust (critical step or meringue will shrink). Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool at room temperature for at least 4 hours. Store in refrigerator.