Note: O...M...G! Loved this dish! Brian and I ate the whole thing ourselves and could have stuffed more! We love the lettuce wraps at PF Changs. Don't prepare this dish expecting it to taste just like the restaurant, but it is an excellent make-it-at-home substitute when you have a craving for lettuce wraps. I like that I could adjust a few things to make it healthier as well, e.g. lite soy sauce and Splenda. Using the chicken breast makes the recipe more true to the restaurant, but the ground chicken tasted wonderful as well and was much less time consuming. Next time, I may double the stir fry sauce. It looked like it could have used more. I also took the time to prepare all the sauces and the vegetables before I started, which made the dish go together very smoothly once I started cooking.
Ingredients
3 tablespoons oil (I used canola.)
2 boneless skinless chicken breast (I used one pound of ground chicken.)
1 cup water chestnut
2/3 cup mushroom (I used cremini mushrooms.)
3 tablespoons chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
4-5 leaves iceberg lettuce
Special Sauce
1/4 cup sugar (I used Splenda.)
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons soy sauce (Can use lite soy sauce.)
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon hot mustard
2 teaspoons water
1-2 teaspoon garlic and red chile paste
Stir Fry Sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce (Can use lite soy sauce.)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
Directions
1. Make the special sauce by dissolving the sugar in water in a small bowl.
2. Add soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ketchup, lemon juice and sesame oil.
3. Mix well and refrigerate this sauce until you're ready to serve.
4. Combine the hot water with the hot mustard and set this aside as well.
5. Eventually add your desired measurement of mustard and garlic chili sauce to the special sauce mixture to pour over the wraps.
6. Bring oil to high heat in a wok or large frying pan.
7. Saute chicken breasts for 4 to 5 minutes per side or done. (Or, if using ground chicken, brown the chicken. Can then skip ahead and just add the vegetables to the ground chicken in the skillet.)
8. Remove chicken from the pan and cool.
9. Keep oil in the pan, keep hot.
10. As chicken cools mince water chestnuts and mushrooms to about the size of small peas.
11. Prepare the stir fry sauce by mixing the soy sauce, brown sugar, and rice vinegar together in a small bowl.
12. When chicken is cool, mince it as the mushrooms and water chestnuts are. (The Pampered Chef food chopper works wonderfully for this step.)
13. With the pan still on high heat, add another Tbsp of vegetable oil.
14. Add chicken, garlic, onions, water chestnuts and mushrooms to the pan.
15. Add the stir fry sauce to the pan and saute the mixture for a couple minutes then serve it in the lettuce"cups".
16. Top with"Special Sauce". Can also add crispy rice noodles to each lettuce wrap, if desired.