Note: This is my best attempt at Grammy's recipe, since no written version exists. My version is a little different, since I like to add some green onion for color and flavor. I also typically use dill pickle juice instead of Grammy's choice of sweet pickle juice. Shhh...Don't tell Brian!
5-6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
4-5 eggs, hard boiled
mayonnaise
1/4 cup onion, finely diced
2 or 3 green onions chopped, including some of the green
2 ribs celery, finely diced
roughly a 1/4 cup sweet pickle juice (or dill pickle juice)
salt and pepper to taste
I follow Grammy's method of boiling the eggs right in with the potatoes. Once tender, drain and cool potatoes. Peel eggs. Place potatoes in bowl. Dice hard boiled eggs and add to potatoes. Add both kinds of onion, celery, and pickle juice. Add mayo to desired consistency. I start with about 1/2 to 3/4 cup. Mix ingredients together. Then I play with salt, pepper, mayo, and pickle juice until I get to the desired flavor. It will take a generous amount of salt to bring out the flavor of the eggs and potatoes.