Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Beer Bread

Note: I bought a package of beer bread mix while at an in-home food show. Brian and I loved it so much, that I was determined to find a recipe so we didn't have to purchase the expensive box mix everytime. After some experimenting, this recipe has become a regular in our house. Can four ingredients get any easier? We love it best straight out of the oven, but it is also delicious the next day toasted with butter. Brian and I compete over the end pieces because they have the most crunchy, buttery crust!

3 cups self-rising flour
1/2 cup sugar (or less if you don't want it as sweet)
12 oz. beer (I prefer light beers for this bread.)
1/4 cup butter (or less if you prefer)

Mix together flour and sugar. Then add beer. Pour batter into large loaf pan. (I think the stoneware loaf pans give the crunchiest crust, but glass or metal loaf pans work just fine.) Melt butter in microwave and pour over the top of the batter in the loaf pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 45-60 minutes.