Note: Who knew anyone actually cooked brisket? This was my thought when I first moved to Texas. When you request barbecue in Texas, be prepared for ribs, pulled pork, and brisket. In Montana, "eat barbecue" or rather "have a barbecue" means we're going to throw something on the grill and eat it. Might be a steak. Might be some hamburgers and hotdogs. But never brisket. Other than corned brisket, I had never tried this cut. Terry served this recipe at Brian's request for the first dinner I ate with their family shortly after I met Brian. After trying her version, I now crave this dish just like Brian. We like to serve it with mashed potatoes. I also follow suite with Terry sometimes and serve it with another one of her recipes, Black-Eyed Pea's Baked Squash.
2 T liquid smoke (hickory flavor)
1 beef brisket (3-4 pounds)
3 T Worcestershire
Celery salt, onion salt, garlic salt, salt, pepper, barbecue sauce (I usually choose KC Masterpiece.)
Pour liquid smoke over meat and sprinkle both sides generously with celery, onion, and garlic salts. Wrap in foil (or place in glass pan & cover with foil) and refigerate overnight. Next morning, uncover brisket and sprinkle with salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Do not drain. Cover securely with foil. Bake 5 hours in 250 oven. Open foil and add barbecue sauce. Reseal and bake another hour. Slice meat across grain and serve with juices.