Friday, April 4, 2008

Chicken Tettrazzini

Note: Borrowed from Terry's recipe collection. We love the crunchy top and sides! Makes a huge batch. I usually make the whole recipe and then divide it so that we eat half for dinner and then I freeze the other half (or make this recipe on a night that we deliver food to another family). If freezing this recipe, I recommend adding a little milk to the dish before baking to prevent the chicken from drying out too much. Cooking time will need to be adjusted a bit when starting with a frozen dish.

1 large chicken, boiled and boned (I've also used the equivalent number of chicken breasts.)
4 cups milk
4 chicken boullion cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp paprika
Parmesan cheese
1 (16 oz) pkg spaghetti

Prepare spaghetti, drain, and place in greased 13 x 9 pan. (I use my large, white Corning Ware baking dish when making a full recipe.)

Heat milk with boullion cubes.

Over medium heat, cook onion in 2 T butter until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. In same skillet, melt remaining butter; stir in flour, nutmeg, 1 T salt and paprika until smooth. Gradually stir in milk broth, stirring until thickened. Add chicken. Toss chicken mixture with spaghetti. Sprinke with Parmesan cheese and some paprika. Bake 350 for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Makes 8 servings.