Note: I remember telling Brian one day early in our relationship that I was going to make an apple pie. I was thinking of the double crust, traditional apple pie. Brian asked that I try making his Great Grandma May's apple pie recipe instead. "Just make it and you'll see why," he said. A little put off that he possibly didn't trust my ability to produce a good apple pie, I reluctantly made this very unique version. He was right. I was instantly sold! It is incredibly good. Especially served ala mode. Now my favorite pick for a Fourth of July all-American apple pie.
Unbaked Pie Shell
3 apples (We prefer Red Delicious. Brian and I usually use 4 large apples, since we love a big pile of yummy apple filling.)
1 egg
1/2 cup Milnot (Evaporated milk, for those who don't live in the South!)
1 T flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
lemon juice
Beat egg, Milnot, flour, sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Shred apples in unbaked pie shell. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Pour milk mixture over apples. Bake 375 for one hour of until custard is set.