Thursday, April 3, 2008

Wheat Salad

Note: Found this recipe when my sisters and I were looking with my mom for something to make and enter in the 4-H Food Fair (Remember that, Girls?!). I think Kelly entered this recipe and won a blue ribbon. We have served it at nearly every holiday meal since. It has crossed over into our meals shared with Brian's family and they request it now, too. Brian is not sold on the wheat berries, but is content to spit them out and eat the yummy lemon pudding. I love the texture of the tender wheat berries mixed in the salad.

1-1/2 cups wheat berries, cooked until tender and drained (About 18 cents worth of wheat, right, Terry?! Too bad we can't just take it off the truck during harvest.)
3 T lemon juice
2 boxes instant lemon pudding, 3 oz each
20 oz crushed pineapple
12 oz tub Cool Whip
8 oz cream cheese, softened

Mix cream cheese and lemon juice. Stir in pineapple, including juice. Add wheat, cooled if cooked. Fold in Cool Whip. Sprinkle in pudding and fold into mixture. Chill for at least 15-30 minutes.